Maureen Martens, BFA, B.Ed, MA, ICADC, CSAT, CCTP, CCATP
I am a Registered Substance Abuse Expert, Certified Professional Counsellor/Psychotherapist, International Certified Alcohol & Drug Counsellor, Certified Sex Addiction Therapist, Marriage and Family Therapist (using Gottman Method Couples Therapy), Certified Clinical Trauma Professional, and a Certified Clinical Anxiety Treatment Professional. I have a private practice with offices in two locations - Swift Current, SK and Regina, SK, CANADA working with individuals, couples, and families.
With over 25 years of counselling experience and as a graduate of Briercrest Seminary (Caronport, SK.) specializing in marriage and family therapy, trauma and addictions related issues, I have worked in both the public and private sector with a broad spectrum of clients. Among my areas of expertise are couples counselling, marriage counselling, anxiety, stress management and trauma. I also provide addiction counselling for clients directly impacted by their own sex, alcohol, drugs, tobacco and/or gambling activity, and for family members (children, spouses, partners, and/or others) impacted by their loved one's behaviour. In addition, I provide addiction screenings, assessments, and referrals, as well as relapse prevention and recovery education. I also provide support and coaching in the areas of spiritual direction and growth (from a Christian perspective).
I integrate a number of counselling approaches and techniques to offer a highly personalized and effective approach tailored to each client. My therapeutic goal is to provide support and practical feedback to help clients effectively address personal life challenges. With compassion and understanding, I work with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to accomplishing.
Master of Arts - Christian Ministry majoring in Marriage & Family Counselling (Briercrest Seminary)
Bachelor of Education (AD) (University of Saskatchewan)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (University of Saskatchewan)
- Diploma (2 year) Chemical Dependency Worker (Sask. Institute of Applied Science & Technologies)
Certifications & Awards
Certified Sex Addiction Therapist (CSAT)
Certified Clinical Trauma Professional (CCTP)
- Treating Sex Addiction Certificate
Certified Clinical Anxiety Treatment Professional (CCATP)
- International Certified Alcohol and Drug Counsellor (ICADC)
- Certified Canadian Addiction Counsellor (CCAC)
B.Ed (AD) with Distinction
- B.F.A. with Great Distinction
SIAST Woodland Institute Achievement Scholarship
(AKA Saskatchewan Polytechnique)
- Pepsi Cola Canada Beverages West Ltd. Award
University of Saskatchewan Scholarship
University Women's Bursary
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (Level 3 Practicum Training)
- EMDR - Basic and Advanced Training (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
- Somatic Experiencing training
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy (University Of Wisconsin-Milwaukee)
- Interventionist Training (BR-1)
- Certificate of Specialization in Anger & Trauma
- Certificate of Specialization in Relationships, Shame, & Sexuality
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD); Advanced Training (CISM)
- Life Skills Coach Training (Emma Lake)
Professional Activities and Involvements (Past and Current)
- Past National Director on the Board of Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF)
- Past chair and executive member of Saskatchewan branch of Professional Association of Canadian Christian Counsellors (PACCC)
- Past chair and executive member of Southwest Saskatchewan Traumatic Event Response Team (TERT)
- Developed the Core Gambling Program Module for Sask. Institute of Applied Science &Technologies (SIAST)
- Developed the Core Alcohol & Drug Education Program for Sask. Indian Institute of Technology (SIIT)
- Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF)
- Professional Association of Canadian Christian Counsellors (PACCC)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing International Association (EMDRIA)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Canada
- International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP)
I was divorced after 27 years of marriage and have two adult children. I married Bob Hardie in 2000. Sadly, due to his failing health, I was widowed in 2008. God has also blessed me with another marriage. Gordon is a rancher and was also widowed. So, now together, we have 4 children, 7 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild. We enjoy travelling when we can and spending time with friends and family.
We are active members of the Church of the Open Bible in Swift Current, SK. Through our church and with the wonderful help of others, we have facilitated GriefShare, a program for anyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one. Also, through the church and with the help of other members, I have had the privilege of facilitating several other classes: DivorceCare, a program to support those who are separated or divorced; Boundaries, which teaches about creating healthy relationships and sound living by maintaining effective personal boundaries; and Changes That Heal, to help participants understand their past and ensure a healthier future.
Just like others, I have experienced many challenges, heartache and sorrow as well as incredible blessings. Today, I give God thanks for all His gifts - for the peace and assurance that I have even in difficult circumstances; for health and healing; for family and friends; for the opportunity to do the work I do; and for His love that permeates my life.